Take the next step in your sales career and join one of Australia’s fastest growing companies.
Sell sponsorship, exhibition space and custom marketing solutions for our highly regarded industry events.
Who are we?
Monkey Media is a unique hybrid, we publish trade magazines and organise industry events, and we are also a marketing agency, specialising in creating content and digital solutions for companies in our niche.
We are growing quickly and were recently listed in the Australian Financial Review’s Fast 100 for 2018.
Based in Collingwood, we cover industries like utilities, infrastructure, and energy. Don’t worry, we don’t expect you to have much knowledge of these areas in advance, as long as you’re open to learning their hidden mysteries!
We now run four main industry events each year, and this role will take the lead in selling sponsorships, exhibition space, and other marketing solutions around these events. There is also the opportunity to sell into our magazines, digital channels and marketing agency services.
Our sales team is supported by a powerful marketing automation strategy, and our products are genuine market leaders, which means there’s no shortage of people who actually want what we have to sell. Your role is to match these people up with the best solution for them and build a relationship for the long-term.
Who are you?
The core skills we need are;
- Proven sales experience getting above average results, ideally with some experience in industry event sales or similar
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written are a must; you have to be able to hold a conversation and write a coherent email with ease
- You also must have integrity, like really have it, not just list it on your resume. Our team are all honest, decent and ethical.
- Prior knowledge of our industries is not essential, provided you have a genuine interest in marketing and a willingness to learn
- We need someone with amazing communication skills who can build relationships with our clients based on mutual trust and a genuine understanding of their needs.
- The longer you spend in the role, the greater the rewards will be so this job will only suit someone looking for a long-term career option.
- The ability to travel to ours and other industry events around Australia, perhaps an average of one trip a month, though some months (particularly in Autumn and Spring) seem to be a lot busier
- The hours are reasonable as we’re mostly dealing with other people during work hours, but it’s not a job for someone with a 9-5 clock-watching mentality. You need to be focused first and foremost on delivering the results. There is also plenty of flexibility for high-performers.
What it’s really like
An average day at Monkey Media will see you performing some, if not all, of these duties;
- Based in our Collingwood office, you’ll be dealing with clients all over Australia, so a lot of the time you’ll be using the phone and email.
- There are also plenty of opportunities to visit clients both in Melbourne and interstate and to visit tradeshows as well.
- You’ll be contacting both warm leads and new prospects, at first it will feel like a huge impersonal list, but over time you’ll get to know them all and some clients will even become friends.
- Our products are high quality and genuine market leaders, so we don’t need a slick sales rep who can sell ice to eskimos. Our success is built on long-term relationships and repeat business so keeping in touch with clients, and ensuring we do what we say we will, is key.
- Some days you’ll keep chasing the same person who told you they’re definitely going to do it, only to disappear at the last minute, and just when all hope is lost someone else will emerge from out of the blue and book in instead.
- Coffee matters, so before you start the day you’re welcome to become your best-self with a cup of the good stuff, and there’s no judgement around how much coffee people consume each day. (Plus you can make it however you like; we provide almond milk, MCT oil, and even hot chocolate for the sugar addicts. If we’ve missed something you need just let us know. Did we mention we think coffee matters?)
- We work hard, but not crazy hours, and we’re always flexible. If you’re focussed on getting a job done well, you’ll love it. If you’re looking for an easy-ride or are a clock-watcher, swipe left!
But, like how many days and hours are we talking here?
Ok, this part is flexible, we’re growing fast and while this role is envisaged as full-time we are happy to make something different work for the right person.
What’s it pay and when can I start?
If you take the role full-time, it pays a base of $65,700 including superannuation, plus a 10% commission on all event and media sales – so you should be able to earn well over $100,000 in your first year, with no limits on what you can earn.
We’re ready now, but we’re also prepared to wait for the right person.
Sounds perfect, I’m in – what next?
Please upload your cover letter and CV via the form below (please use a PDF format). In your cover letter, as well as the usual information, please tell us about the most satisfying sale you ever made.
Once we’ve got this info and if you advance to the next stage, you will be sent an email inviting you to submit a short video.
After that, successful applicants from here will come in to Monkey Media HQ for a face-to-face interview. Don’t worry, the process doesn’t go on forever, but we really want to get to know you before making a decision.